"Simply Double Nines" - Upcycled Blues #50 finished
I really debated with myself on the quilting of this one. I wanted something more complicated - maybe something different.
I decided to try the wavy lines on my Janome 8900 - it’s actually design number 99. I made it as wide as it would go and set the stitch length on 3.
Then I began to sew. It took a long, long time because each of those lines took about 2.5 minutes. Yes, you read that right.
And this is a big beast! Really big!
Did you know that some people hate stippling because they say it looks like a mattress pad cover?
They haven’t seen ANYTHING yet.
This amazing bumpy design looks like one to me!
Will I do it again? Nah. I will probably use the wavy line going one way - but not both ways - or at least not this close together again. Ever. I am not very taken by it, but like most things like this, once I put it away and look at it again, I may decide it’s not too bad.
This time as I look at my quilt and see the variations in “white”, I am not nearly as startled at it as I was when I made the first one in the series - Starring Monkey Wrenches (shown below). With that one I was shocked as I took it out into the sunshine and all of a sudden the whites were a variety of whites/off whites. This time I was prepared for those variations. I knew I had used a variety of shades as the background/alternating blocks.
Now I’m okay with all the variety. Once I got over the differences in the background shades, I got used to it! I guess two years does make a difference!
I do have a variety of shades and colors and I have texture galore.
I did not write up the pattern because it is a simple double 9 patch. The 9 patch finished at 3” in the quilt (3.5” as a single block unit) and when I put them together it made a 9” finished block. The little white squares are cut 3.5”. The big plain squares were cut 9.5” - and finish at 9” in the quilt.
With a 9 patch like this, I like to make them with odd numbers so that they start and stop with a chain block - finishing out the look. This one ix a 9x9 layout. While it is big, I preferred big over a 7x7 layout, which I thought would be too small. Or even a 7x9 layout would be more narrow than I wanted.
Here is the layout if it helps you!
What more is there to say? I’m not particularly taken by it (the quilting - I always love a 9 patch!) - but I wanted different, and “different” is what I got.
The quilt roll! I couldn’t forget that!
Sp what made me even want to make this one? Well, it was when I was watching a MSQC tutorial about the blue houses BOM that they were having - designs by Edyta Sitar, and they just casually showed a double 9 patch like this - and Edyta suggested making this along with the BOM out of scraps. The quilt, while just shown briefly, caught my attention and I just jumped on it - as a great idea - though obviously I didn’t do it as I went along on this project. Obviously! But I figured I could easily “eek” out one more quilt out of the small pieces I was about to throw away!
A distance shot!
And with the showing of this quilt - number 50 in the series, I am coming to the end. I won’t show these individual quilts again unless for reference or comparison. You have made it to “The End” of the series with me!
If you are curious and get nostalgic and happen to want to see them all in one place, there are here - on the Upcycled Blues page on the website. Feel free to hop on over there.
Also feel free to share that page with anyone you think might be interested. I would be honored.
Be sure to check out what my sis has for you in the store!