Beige Wedding Quilt - Day 4
I put the middle of the top together today.
So what did that include?
I made the sashing - I cut 8” strips of white, 4 strips of the two 2.5” browns for the chains and sewed up a strip set of 2.5” brown, 8” white, 2.5” other brown and pressed towards the dark. Then I cut off 2.5” strips and had a strip set that was a brown, white, brown. I also cut a bunch of 2.5”x8” white sashing pieces for the sides.
I sewed a white sashing to the sides of each chain block.
Then I took everything to my newly refinished floors and worked on the layout.
Then I took those partially pieced sashing pieces and made up the rest of the long sashing pieces as needed.
Shown below is where I am making the long rows of sashing strips and putting them in place before I sew everything together:
Here’s a close up of the white sashing and cornerstone blocks in position:
Here I am putting the rest of the sashing rows in place.
Here they are all together, ready to sew. These rows are all just sitting in position - nothing is sewn.
Once I was happy with my layout I started sewing the blocks together into rows. I went ahead and sewed up the sashing rows after I sewed the beige rows together.
Then, once I had all the rows together, including sashing rows, I started putting the whole top together.
I worked on it for quite a while. This kind of quilt top always seems to make me a while to get together- hours. I kept putting it back on the floor and taking pictures in an effort to keep myself from making mistakes.
I still managed to get the whole top together, took a final set of pictures and then noticed a couple more mistakes. I had looked at it every single time I took pictures. I still missed them! I had turned them in the process of sewing the rows together.
But, no, I didn’t get on Facebook and ask a bunch of people if they thought I should change it. To me, it’s a no-brainer. Of COURSE I fixed those blocks.
So here it is all finished.
I’ll do the borders tomorrow. Then I’ll decide on the backing.
I lost heart and energy when I had a couple of mistakes - not only in the final picture as shown circled above, but during construction I had put a couple of long seams in wrong and I had to take them out.
I decided that it was enough for today. I stopped and enjoyed how it looked!
Anyway…I decided to trim off the pointed parts and put the borders on tomorrow. I had hoped to get it all done originally, but I knew I had a contingency day, so I decided to use it.
Be sure to check out what my sis has for you in the store!