"Hanging Birdhouses" - 2" strips and squares top #72 finished
I went ahead and used up some of the black in the Big Fabric Haul on this top. I had previously run out of black - and wanted to make this top. The black poplin piece that was 5 meters (60” wide) was enough to make this one plus the other two shown on the page where I’m giving progress. However, after making those three tops, I had about 6” leftover. I used that 6” in the one I just showed you called Impressionist Wreaths.
For whatever reason I’m not in any mood to write patterns right now. I’m not sure why. I suspect it’s just the summer slump.
So, while this pattern isn’t written, I am putting the quilt on the 2” strips and squares page. Possibly part of it is my going through everything in my living room/dining room - piece by piece as I put things BACK to make sure I really want it. I think it’s called decision fatigue. It’s a real thing.
I’ll get to the pattern by the time I get the quilt finished and shown. That has been my method. I prefer doing it now, and will try - but for some reason I’m unfocused.
So, for now, I’m just going with it -part of it is I’m expecting company and need to get some more straightening up done. A lot in fact.
I’m calling this one Hanging Birdhouses - I have seen something similar called Chandeliers…but to me this one looks like my bird feeders outside my window - but feeders have to have a flat bottom. This one has a pointed bottom and looks like it could be a birdhouse - esp. if you made a light center where a hole would be. OK, Ok, birdhouses should have a flat bottom, but the birds build a nest in the bottom of the birdhouse, so they can use any shape, I’d imagine!
It doesn’t really matter what I call it - it’s just a name. I think the effect is interesting.
This top is on point - if you are wondering how it is made.
I’ll show you before adding the border and then after. I had some issues with the border - an on point top has a tendency to stretch when working with the bias - even though I tried not to stretch it as I was working with and measured and pinned and pinned. I know the more you handle the bias edges of a quilt, the more of a chance you have to stretch things out. Hopefully as it is quilted and then washed it will all sort of shrink back into place.
Here’s as I put the rows together.
And here you can see we are in the middle of painting…
I really do like the effect. I think you could do this with pretty much any block and have that cool “dripping” or “dangling” look.
I’ve not written the pattern yet, but the block is this one: It’s a 9” finished block. I made the sashing finished at 3” and the four patch 3”x3” finished. I think this should help you make it if you have a desire. Of course the darker gray is the black. Black doesn’t show up the lines as well.
So there you go. Enjoy! If you really want to make this top and can’t wait til the pattern, just write me a PM on Facebook and ask for more details (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Have a great day!
Be sure to check out what my sis has for you in the store!