Unfinished Object (UFO) top finished - Block of the Month (BOM)!
I was able to pull out these 11 blocks from my shelves just after getting back from my trip. I wanted to “do something” . They were already segregated into their little plastic shoebox from when I cleaned up my sewing room earlier this year.
The problem, as I saw it, was that I only had 11 blocks. I decided to go down to my green fabrics and see if there was anything I could use to make up one more simple block so I could make up this quilt top.
And so I did.
The blocks were 12.5”. I got these when my sis and I bought our original stash of a lady’s fabric back in 2015 - she had made them. Apparently she adored Block of the Months programs as she seemed to have myriads of them. I’m not that keen on them, but in the end, I’m fine with the finished quilt!
I have to admit, I’ve seen some that are exceptional, however - some paper pieced ones, or house ones or something special - to me this one is just so-so. I’m fine with it and even happier that it is being finished!
I’m just the type of person who would rather not drag out a project for a year to finish the blocks. I tend to lose steam by that time and figure the chances are very good I won’t finish it at all if I wait that long.
I was so happy when I found enough of the floral in the center of the blocks for the border. It felt like kind of a miracle. Maybe the lady had originally kept that matching fabric and I ended up putting it in my stash. I don’t know, but when I went to my green shelves and found it, (I think that is what happened.) I was “over the moon” happy! Well, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration - but I was delighted!
Actually I used a 3.5” border as that was all the floral I had. I had wanted to cut the border at 4.5”, not 4”. But, oh well. That’s how it goes sometimes. I was just tickled that I had enough of that fabric.
This means the finished top is now 61”x76” which is a really nice size!
I’ll let you figure out which block I added. It’s actually pretty easy.
I used the simple sashing idea that I have used a couple of times lately in my upcycled blues series. It does appear to be somewhat different when sashing a bigger block such as the size in this BOM quilt top.
The lady did a nice job piecing. I saw that she used a lot of hand piecing in this one- maybe because some of the blocks are pretty precise and it is a bit easier to be ultra precise by hand than by machine.
And that’s what I’ve been up to lately here in my sewing room!
Have a great day wherever you are reading this!
Be sure to check out what my sis has for you in the store!