Sandwiching all these charity quilt tops!

At least one of you wanted to see how I sandwich these quilts so I thought I’d take some pictures while I did some of the first of them and show you.

Here’s what I use:

Batting:

I use poly batting on all these charity quilts as it is affordable. I have to pay about (USD) $0.80/meter (I buy it wholesale fro a local place about 1/2 mile from house in 50 meter rolls) and it is wide enough for one of these singles. Then I just need the length. If each quilt is 3 meters (and they aren’t that much), it costs about $2.40 per quilt for the batting. I think that’s okay.

I use poly batting on all these charity quilts as it is affordable. I have to pay about (USD) $0.80/meter (I buy it wholesale fro a local place about 1/2 mile from house in 50 meter rolls) and it is wide enough for one of these singles. Then I just need the length. If each quilt is 3 meters (and they aren’t that much), it costs about $2.40 per quilt for the batting. I think that’s okay.

My table:

I’ve shared about the table before. We use it for eating, playing games, used it for homework when the kids were home, and various other things. It’s an 8’ table. My son redid it during 2018 to make it this beautiful!

I’ve shared about the table before. We use it for eating, playing games, used it for homework when the kids were home, and various other things. It’s an 8’ table. My son redid it during 2018 to make it this beautiful!

Clips:

We bought these clips at Lidl. I use them to hold everything to the table.

We bought these clips at Lidl. I use them to hold everything to the table.

Backing and top, of course:

IMG_9122.JPG

spray glue:

 
IMG_9117.JPG
 


safety pins:

 
IMG_9130s.jpg
 
IMG_9125s.jpg

First I put the backing on the table, right side down and clip it to the table.

1.jpg
2.JPG

Then I put the batting on the top and clip it down.

3.JPG
4.JPG

Then I added the top and clip it.

5.JPG
6.JPG

Then I pin it. I lift up the top two layers and spray glue between the layers, hopefully capturing most of the “over spray” in between the layers. I then pin using safety pins here and there:

8.JPG

I do a whole width of the table first and then I work on the second part by trimming the batting off on the end and gently unclipping the backing from the table and pulling it over and doing the second part of the quilt the same way.

It’s that simple

IMG_9149s.jpg
IMG_9151s.jpg
IMG_9154s.jpg
IMG_9156.JPG

And that’s how I sandwich my quilts. Right now I’m trying to do 2 a day until I get the first 10 done. I will then reevaluate where I am with other projects and see if I want to keep going on quilting charity quilts and/or continue to finish up other projects.

IMG_9167.JPG

Someday when we get a better internet connection and can actually upload videos wtihout it being a big deal and holding my breath that it will work, I’ll make more videos. Right now it is an exercise in frustration as our upload speed is incredibly slow.


And that’s what’s going on around here today!