Strings/crumbs update

This week I got a bit of a second wind with this blues project. I am seeing the end - surely and truly.


I worked exclusively on the one I'm calling A Hot Mess. I just made some more 6.5" strips of blocks - what I mean is that I just sewed pieces together until I had something that was over 6.5" wide and as long as I could. Then I trimmed it to 6.5" wide. I sewed those pieces together to make a long length  of fabric I did that with a 9.5" width as well. So my A Hot Mess has grown as of last count to a respectable 60" x 74" in. I'm happy about that. now it is truly a lap quilt size.  Of course, it it taking longer to make those crumb blocks that I can add to the edges  as the edges are getting longer! But I'm happy about it. 

With what I've been doing, I really only have a few of these tops left until I can put the whole blues project behind me - as far as creating tops anyway. I haven't finished the one I named Hawaiian Dreams - actually I haven't started it yet though the fabrics are all put to one side - and my Pockets one - is under construction. I was feeling a little too stretched out to focus on all those at once so I hid them thm until I finish the last two big tops out of small pieces.

Anyway...A Hot Mess is now here.

IMG_3648 sm 60x74.jpg

I spent a lot of time on it! I really want to get it done. I'm not bored with it, but I'm not making the kind of progress I want to on these when I try to make several at a time each weekend.

If you have been following this string/crumbs project you realize I started it because I wasn't using up my strings/crumbs like I had hoped to - wanted to. So, I started a year ago making a mindful attempt to work on this type of project at least a little bit each weekend.  Usually I make kind of small progress for a while and then I get to the point where I spend a lot of time on it and finish up the top. Even though I'm technically not even  half done with this one yet, once I get over half way done - I will begin to work on it harder. Let me see. if it is 60x74 and I want it 96x100 - I have 4440 square inches finished, but I need 9600 square inches I am 46% done. That is actually very encouraging as I get close to the 50% mark. That makes me want to work on it even more.

I spent a lot of time this weekend cleaning up my sewing room. It had gotten disastrous and a lot of my blues leftover pieces were strewn all over the room - as I finished one thing, I'd just put the leftovers here and there. I knew I needed to spend a lot of time just organizing and finding things again and putting everything together again. So I spent time on Friday and Saturday doing that. Quite a bit of time! 

I don't think it is picture worthy yet - though, so no pics at this time - but if I could figure out a "neat" way to store my thread, then maybe soon.

And that's what I've been doing lately with regards to quilting!

Be sure to check out what my sis has to offer you in the store.

Becky PetersenComment