"Starry Night" - upcycled blues top #11 finished

I've not worked with 3.5" squares that much but I decided to make something quite a bit different from what I normally do.

"Starry Night"

It's quite simple. There are really only plain squares and wonky star blocks used to make up the 9 patch units in this top.

That's all. 

You end up cutting a lot of 3.5" squares - which is great for using up your scraps and less usable pieces of shirtings. It's bad, however, when using up bottoms of curved shirts and tops, though, as it leaves a lot of scraps.  That's good, however, because it means I get to come up with another way to use those! I guess it all depends on your perspective whether it is good or bad, huh?

 My biggest problem with this of course, is that every piece has to be put into either "dark" or "light".  Of course I did use some mediums, but I tried to put them in places where it wouldn't affect the needed contrast.

My biggest problem with this of course, is that every piece has to be put into either "dark" or "light".  Of course I did use some mediums, but I tried to put them in places where it wouldn't affect the needed contrast.

 I asked my daughter to lay out the blocks on the floor according to the diagram. Here it is.

I asked my daughter to lay out the blocks on the floor according to the diagram. Here it is.

I made this top out of 9 patch blocks but all the individual squares in those blocks are made of 3.5" squares. This makes the finished blocks 9" after being sewn into the quilt.

So what did I think of using 3.5" squares? I've looked around and most of my quilts don't use this size - I'm not sure what I think actually. I found it a bit tedious - for some reason this one was hard for me to make. I think I actually like the detail that a smaller square creates. But for this particular quilt, this size "works", so it's okay with me. 

Here's the pattern in case you are interested.

IMG_8292 sm name.jpg

Some of you are getting really tired of blue, aren't you? Well, I'm kind of single minded at this moment, so I'll keep going.

At this moment, I've got 2 in the works - both started--another crumbs one and the last one is supposed to be one that uses some leftover blocks or partial blocks that I've created while making the other tops. 

That "last one" - whenever it will be, has been coming along in my head for a while now. When I finish the next one I'm working on, I'll probably fold up my leftovers as neatly as I can  and see how close I am to fitting it all in two boxes! I can get a lot more in the those boxes when they are nicely stacked and folded. But no, I'm not going to use compression bags!  That would defeat the purpose- and that is to get my total amount of blues down to what I consider a "non embarrassing" amount.

This is the current status of my tops in this project: I've not shown you #13 yet - but you are almost caught up seeing with what I've finished! Only one more is finished at the time of this writing!

 From left: 1. Starring Monkey Wrenches, 2. Periscope, 3. Premium Labels, 4. Peek-a-Boo, 5. Granny's Checkerboard, 6. Scrappy Rail Fence, 7. Triple Irish Delight, 8. Made Ya Look - at Blues, 9. Frisky Boxes, 10. Double Star Beauty, 11. Starry Night, 12. All Crumbled Up!    This has certainly been a fun "little" (haha!) project! 

From left: 1. Starring Monkey Wrenches, 2. Periscope, 3. Premium Labels, 4. Peek-a-Boo, 5. Granny's Checkerboard, 6. Scrappy Rail Fence, 7. Triple Irish Delight, 8. Made Ya Look - at Blues, 9. Frisky Boxes, 10. Double Star Beauty, 11. Starry Night, 12. All Crumbled Up!  

This has certainly been a fun "little" (haha!) project! 



Don't forget to check out what my sis has for you over in the store!


Becky Petersen8 Comments