Strings/crumbs update - "Crumby Star" update

Not a lot of Progress here

I've been working on taming my crumbs and/or strings on the weekends by at least commiting to one good sewing session. I figured if I did that, at least I'd be making SOME progress - it not a lot, at least a little.

Right now I'm focusing on crumbs and leftovers from my upcycled blues before I put that whole thing on "go away" status.  I'm working on top number 16 which I've named "Crumby Stars". The top is going to look like this

 crumby star quilt project. A blue and gray quilt with teal and purple accents. 

But this weekend I've been somewhat distracted.

Why? Well, mostly it's the charity quilts. I'm "tasting" being done with them.  I mean, I finished the quilting part, but now I'm on to the binding part.  I'm so excited and getting really ready to "get it done" - really I'm ready already.

 Two stacks of HST blocks, "crumby blocks".

So, All I did was make 5 rather large crumby blocks from which I hope to cut 5 9" squares to be made into 10 HST combined with gray for the outer row of HST blocks in the above shown layout. I cut out the gray 9" squares last weekend.

Maybe I can get some more made next weekend. No predictions though. I am not sure where I will stand on charity quilt binding by next weekend. I may be even MORE distracted by then!

 

AND I made 3 more star points out of the brights for my woven star blocks.

 This is what I made this weekend. I'm pulling from my "yet to be trimmed down scraps" for these.

This is what I made this weekend. I'm pulling from my "yet to be trimmed down scraps" for these.

 This is what I have finished so far. I will need literally a couple hundred of these. So I'll just keep plugging away.  I can handle doing 3 in a weekend. Maybe I'll up it to 4 sometime, but not yet.

This is what I have finished so far. I will need literally a couple hundred of these. So I'll just keep plugging away.  I can handle doing 3 in a weekend. Maybe I'll up it to 4 sometime, but not yet.

And that's all.


BUT

 As I get a couple of quilts completely bound, I take them downstairs closer to the washing machine and change the numbers on this board. I need the constant feedback in order to keep myself encouraged.

As I get a couple of quilts completely bound, I take them downstairs closer to the washing machine and change the numbers on this board. I need the constant feedback in order to keep myself encouraged.

But I did bind some charity quilts!  I've got 26 completely done. The only thing left with them is washing and picture taking.  But DONE means they are quilted, bound and labeled. 

As I am getting them washed I am letting them dry (hanging to dry - not dryer) - and then I'll get pics as soon as it gets above freezing and not raining. Then I'll take them over to the church building where I can store them for later.

 These are the quilts ready for pictures. They have been washed and let dry.  Now I need above freezing weather so I can take them outside and get individual pictures.

These are the quilts ready for pictures. They have been washed and let dry.  Now I need above freezing weather so I can take them outside and get individual pictures.

Actually one of the things that is keeping me from doing that too much at once is that I'm afraid of a blister on my thumb where I hold the scissors as I trim down off the excess batting and backing.

I used a glove yesterday to prevent more rubbing. Today I trimmed my quota but I did it in 4 different time periods. So, my hand feels okay today. I'll probably trim 6-10 tomorrow and use a glove just to make sure I don't get that blister I'm afraid of getting.

After the first day I was feeling some soreness and I was afraid I had overdone it in my zeal to get started on the trimming and binding. But maybe I didn't do too much and the skin is gradually going to toughen up.



And that's it for my weekend update. if you need something from the store, don't forget to order! My sis loves working with these fabrics!



Becky Petersen3 Comments