Crumbs/Strings project update
Well, after several weeks of hiatus from strings, I'm returning to making some string blocks. I've been unsure what to do - it is a case of "I've got so many things to tackle and I'm seemingly unfocused on any one, so that has left me feeling a bit paralyzed.
When that happens to me, I find if I just keep pushing ahead, even with baby steps, the paralysis slowly dissipates and I gain some focus. Usually it comes from gathering enough blocks to get inspired.
Actually that sounds good, but most of the time in the strings project, I've known where I was heading from the time I started making blocks.
One of my problems is this block - I'm not sure how to use it so it doesn't look "too busy". I have several made and want to figure something out. These I made on September 3 or so, but while I've worked with these for several hours on EQ, I'm not completely happy with what I've done. I've got one that I like "ok" - and I may end up going with it but in the meantime, I'll make more strings blocks but until I figure out how to use these, I'll make them on the diagonal. I will continue to let these "gel" and hope that a new idea comes to me as I work with the plan.
So this is where I'm going for the time being.
1. I will continue to make the Woven Star blocks each weekend - for now - 2 to 4 - depending on my time and interest level. I am pulling from a bag that is designated to be trimmed into strips scraps that have been unsorted. Some are strings while some are just pieces that I'm using. While technically not a strings block entirely, I'm throwing this project in this category . Otherwise, I might not actually ever get to making it.
2. Make more large string blocks - colorful ones - on the diagonal until I figure out what to do with my straight up and down ones.
3. Make some small 5" crumb blocks - blues - I have a simple plan in mind for them. I'm going to do this one - I can work on the top week by week as I finish blocks and I'm ready for that. It's simple - my Crumby Stars while not difficult was more complicated than I want for this next crumb block quilt
4. When I'm stuck, I can always just sew blue scraps on to some more adding machine tape - both skinny and wide.
So those are my plans - I find I work far better with a plan in mind. When I don't have a plan I just kind of waste time as I go in circles.
What I did on the weekend
This is what I did this weekend with regards to crumbs and strings. My goal is to actually USE them and make something nice out of the. Before I started this, I really didn't do anything with them except let them gather in bags.
1. Made 6 9.5" diagonal string blocks (new) and trimmed up 7 ones I had made before. I now have a total of 13 nicely trimmed 9.5" blocks. I am working on a plan.
2 Finished up this roll of blue scraps sewn to the adding machine tape. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.
3. Made 4 5" crumbs blocks - and then added the black and off white shadow and made the first part of the first row. This is the beginning of Upcycled blues 20. I think I will just make it row by row as I finish the blocks. The plan is shown above.
4. Made four more Woven Star blocks. I now have a total of 25.
And that's all. I feel better having a plan for the blue crumbs - and am close to a plan for the 9.5" strings blocks.
But don't forget - if you need something for your current projects, be sure to check first with Rachael in the shop for a good deal. If she doesn't have it, then go over to a different site! You'll save a lot of money that way. Rachael is "big" into trying to help you save your $$ for your own pockets and not the pockets of a business if it means you, the consumer didn't get a decent deal.