Crumbs/strings update

I was able to get some more sewing done on my blues crumbs. We have had some cooler weather the last few days so ironing/pressing hasn't been an issue for which I'm grateful!

"A Hot Mess"

I added 3.5" strips to one side and a top

and I added some 6.5" sections to a side and top.  This will keep the quilt top from looking like I'm adding to it in rounds - as I'm trying to make it seem more random than that.

It doesn't really matter - exactly what I did. It now measures about 47"x48".  I hope to keep adding to at least one side or edge each week until it ts the size I want it.

     A Hot Mess  now measures about 47"x48".

 

A Hot Mess now measures about 47"x48".

plan.jpg

Then I worked some more on this top - 

 

I thought I had all the necessary string blocks for this. But alas, when I sewed the HST at the beginning - apparently I sewed them inconsistently - I didn't realize it mattered. It is kind of hard to explain, but I have too many of the wrong direction now - so they will be saved for some other project and I need to make about 11 more 10" strings blocks up and down -- not diagonally.

I finished up 23 blocks. - I need 64. I have 43 of the crumb/red part of the blocks ready to go in total. I need to make 21 more now that I messed up some of the blocks by sewing the half stitch triangle the wrong direction on some of them.  (That was a comfusing paragraph - just take it from me that I need to make some more - am not done making string blocks or hourglass blocks even though I thought I was!)

But I grew tired. I worked on this for a couple of hours, but once I realized what I had done, I didn't have the heart to do more. I trimmed for probably an hour - just getting those hourglass blocks ready to add the black to.

Let me show you.

1.jpg

Originally I had a bunch of strings blocks like this - 

 

I had some 10" squares that I placed on top of them and drew a line across the middle diagonally and made HST triangles (I did this before today) - so I had a bunch of large HST. 

I placed those HST blocks on top of each other, drew a line down the middle diagonally and sewed on each side of the line, cut on the drawn line - just like a regular - no string -  hourglass block - they look like this - They were messy, though and I trimmed them down to 8.5"

 
IMG_1619.JPG
 Trimmings from my unfinished hourglass blocks.

Trimmings from my unfinished hourglass blocks.

I then sewed a black strip to 2 sides (2.5" width) and then made the blocks. These are the ones I need in order to complete the top in the plan shown above. I have 23 of these all done.I need 64.

IMG_1623.JPG

 

So I made some progress on my strings projects - I feel like I made more progress on my crumbs project than the stings  one. I still have more to do on this particular strings top before I can put it together. It feels like it's been a long time that I've been working on it but part of that is because I started making straight up and down string blocks last year - and then stopped since I didn't have a plan as to how to finish them.

I did like how much I got on A Hot Mess, though.

But overall, as long as I keep going, even making baby steps, I'll eventually end up with another strings top. I'm excited that I'm making progress, albeit small. 

 

 picture from google images

picture from google images

Don't forget to check out what my sis has for you over in the store! Maybe she has just what you need!



Becky PetersenComment