"Strings" project

I decided that I just had to begin to work on my strings.  They were sitting there, and I wasn't touching them - ever - except to add to the collection, err, umm, bags.  

However, strings and I aren't very good friends. 

I really don't care for most quilts that use them - I don't know why - but they just don't speak to me.

Well,

except for a couple of designs I've seen. I decided to try to make one of the ones that I did like - so I'm starting on it.

This is what I want to do.  I'm going to go ahead and "sew this one up as I go" - in other words, as I finish the blocks, I'm going to try to keep adding to the top until it gets to be the size I want.

So far, this is where I am - 

 I have a lot of light strings - and to be honest, saturated colors make this more interesting. However, I decided to brighten it up by using brights for the sashing and 9 patches

I have a lot of light strings - and to be honest, saturated colors make this more interesting. However, I decided to brighten it up by using brights for the sashing and 9 patches

I'll try to keep adding to the side and top or bottom until it is the size I want. That way I can stay interested and admire it as it gets bigger and bigger. I'm "out" of little 9 patches and need to make some more before I can continue. I actually have more of the main blocks made - here are only 16 - and I currently have about 40 made.

These are 6.5".

I'm also cutting 3.5" squares. I'm still working on a design for those. 

While I was at it, I wanted to try to make some shapes using the strings.  Now, THESE ARE FUN! I love them!  I'm going to try to figure out how to use them. It will be a ton of work to applique these down, but oh, oh, so pretty! I have an idea, actually...just go to go get a glue stick that will work on fabric.

I also tried to cut a couple of hearts. Maybe it is just the strings I used for them, but they didn't hit me the same way the butterflies did. I will probably try again - as I think they could be cute. Maybe I'll work on finding some more nicely colored strings.

Here are some pieces of strings fabric that I made.  

In order to make the 6.5" squares, I just cut a strip at 90 degrees, using my 6.5" ruler.

Then, I turned it 90 degrees and cut again - using the ruler to make the square.

And that's all for now. This is an ongoing project. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have more fun things to show you from my strings!

My sister is away on a trip to Greece right now, but she has left her daughter (all grown up), my daughter (also grown up, but still in college) and my son (all grown up as well, but younger than the other two) ready to fill orders. Feel free to order. I'd love to have sold quite a bit between now and May 19 when she gets back.