"Triple Irish Delight" - upcycled blues # 7 top finished

I couldn't resist making one of my upcycled blues quilt a Triple Irish chain quilt. I just love the design - and I know I've made it multiple times with different colorways, but here's yet another one.

IMG_7482 name sm.jpg

I was considering making it with red instead of green - at first - but then I thought everyone would think USA patriotic, and while it was beautiful (in the design, at least), I didn't want people to think that. My twin suggested kelly green. Since I happened to have a bright kelly green duvet cover, I knew I could do that color combination. Besides, I like it! I really was ready to add another color in besides just blue and white or blue and cream!.

While it may seem that I actually used a lot of the same fabrics, I didn't. My navy is a consistent fabric - the middle of the chain, and the green is all one fabric.  Otherwise, I used very light blues and medium blues - and there are quite a variety of them - I'll show you a closeup of a block or two.

 I used a navy blue that was the same throughout. Then on either side of the navy, I used a medium blue and on the side of the medium blue, I used a light blue. My other color was an off white - I used about 5 different ones, I think. The one that I tried to keep consistent was the chain off white - that one I made my "brightest off white".

I used a navy blue that was the same throughout. Then on either side of the navy, I used a medium blue and on the side of the medium blue, I used a light blue. My other color was an off white - I used about 5 different ones, I think. The one that I tried to keep consistent was the chain off white - that one I made my "brightest off white".

 The close up above was a cropped section of this. You can see by stepping back just a bit that you get the idea of just mediums or light blues - but not the individual blues.

The close up above was a cropped section of this. You can see by stepping back just a bit that you get the idea of just mediums or light blues - but not the individual blues.

I knew that my original plan called for 80 blocks!  I made 30 at first, and when wanted to see what it would look like. I was growing wearing at 30, for sure, and 80 seemed like too many.  This is what one block looked like: I since revised it to 64 blocks and added a piano key border to get the width I was looking for.

 My block. The whole center of the quilt is made up of only one block!  Easy!  Really! Not quick, though! And you do have to keep your thinking cap on as you work on this one.

My block. The whole center of the quilt is made up of only one block!  Easy!  Really! Not quick, though! And you do have to keep your thinking cap on as you work on this one.

My favorite thing to do when I've been working on chain blocks is to put a few of them on the floor so I can see the effect when they go together!

 After I made some of the blocks, I couldn't wait to see what they looked like in the top - because as individual blocks, they didn't look like much. But as usual with the double and triple Irish chains, when you start putting them together, "magic" happens. I get this little skip in my heart when I see it for the first time.  Funny, huh?  Yeah, I think so too.

After I made some of the blocks, I couldn't wait to see what they looked like in the top - because as individual blocks, they didn't look like much. But as usual with the double and triple Irish chains, when you start putting them together, "magic" happens. I get this little skip in my heart when I see it for the first time.  Funny, huh?  Yeah, I think so too.

I really can't wait to finish this one completely. I hope to finish it while my son, Daniel is home from college, so he can work some of his magic with the camera!

I did add a piano key border because - for a couple of reasons but one big one was that I had cut way too many 1.5" strips - so these keys are actually leftovers from the center - so they 'match' exactly - as they are the same fabrics as I used in the center.

The other reason was because I wanted a wide enough quilt so that if it shrinks up while quilting, it will still cover a queen bed nicely. After all this work, I didn't want a quilt that was too narrow! I debated using a 8x10 layout but it meant it would have been plenty long but not quite wide enough.

IMG_7491 cropped.jpg

I hope some of you can use the pattern.  I took lots of pictures along the way and put them in the pattern to show you how I strip pieced this beauty.

And now you can see the picture of my first 7 upcycled blues quilt tops!  I've certainly had fun turning those buckets of second hand pieces into quilts.  I have added things from my room as needed (all upcycleds, though) such as the kelly green and navy duvet covers and off white or tan sheets!

 From left to right - Starring Monkey Wrenches, Periscope, Premium Labels, Peek-A-Boo, Granny's Checkerboard, Scrappy Rail Fence, Triple Irish.

From left to right - Starring Monkey Wrenches, Periscope, Premium Labels, Peek-A-Boo, Granny's Checkerboard, Scrappy Rail Fence, Triple Irish.

Feel free to check out what my sis has over in the store for you! 



Becky Petersen2 Comments